Skip to main content

Edexcel As level notes - Unit1 – Biomolecules



1) Carbohydrates
  • Constituents of carbohydrates are “Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen".
  • The general formulae of carbohydrates is cx (H2O) y.
  • In carbohydrates always Hydrogen and Oxygen are in the ratio 2:1.
  • They are made of saccharide units (literally sugar) - a prefix (mono-, di-, poly-) denotes how many units.
  • Carbohydrates are classified as Monosaccharides, Disaccharides and polysaccharides.

2) Monosaccharides (Single saccharides)
  • They are simplest sugars.
  • General formulae of Monosaccharides is (CH2O)n
        

Examples:
  • Glucose – Simplest sugar 
  • Galactose – Milk sugar
  • Fructose – Fruit sugar
  • Ribose – present in DNA

3) Disaccharides (two saccharides)
They are double sugars.



Examples:
  • Sucrose – formed by condensation of two sugars (Glucose + Fructose)· Plants transport food in the form of sucrose. This is the common table sugar.  Sucrose is a non-reducing sugar. So do not readily answers the benedict test.
  • Lactose – formed by condensation of two sugars (Glucose + Galactose)· Lactose is “Milk sugar”.
  • Maltose - formed by condensation of two sugars (Glucose + Glucose)

4) Poly saccharides (many saccharides)
  • Carbohydrates with three or more sugar units.
  • They are made up of either amylose or both amylose and amylopectin.
Examples:
  • Starch 
  • Glycogen 
  • Cellulose 

5) Benedict test – Test for reducing sugars

Sugar + Benedict Solution (blue) ---> green ---> yellow ---> orange ---> red
  • The colour intensity increases with increase in percentage of sugars.
  • Benedict’s reagent contains blue copper (II) ions (Cu +2) which are reduced to copper (I) ions. These are precipitated as red copper (I) oxide which is insoluble in water.





























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riddles -2

Q: What has many keys but can't open any doors? A: A piano. ************ Q: Can a kangaroo jump higher than the Empire State Building? A: Yes, because the Empire State Building can't jump!  ************ Q: What are two things people never eat before breakfast? A: Lunch and supper. *************

Facebook Shortcut Keys

Using keyboard shortcuts where ever possible is the most Efficient way of using a PC. Then why do you miss this in facebook? It is the No 2 ranking website after Google, as per alexa rankings.So be known of these facebook shortcuts. Moreover, it makes you look like a pro.. These are the facebook’s own set of built-in keyboard shortcuts. These are the Chrome keywords for  Facebook  :

Jokes

A: Doctor, will I be able to play the piano after the operation? B: Yes, of course. A: Great! I never could before! Teacher: Tell me a sentence that starts with an "I". Student: I is the... Teacher: Stop! Never put 'is' after an "I". Always put 'am' after an "I". Student: OK. I am the ninth letter of the alphabet.